Friday, July 13, 2012

Road trip

After a week of joyfully hanging out with grandsons Max and Sam in the 90 degree heat of Bend, I thought a cool ride down the coast accompanied only by my camera might be a good idea.  

I always enjoy taking the loop out to the lighthouse on Yaquina Head in hopes that some sort of magic sunlight will hit it and I'll make the cover of Light House Magazine.  No magic today, just fog.  I was disappointed to see the light was in a stationary mode and I wasn't able to capture it brightly lighting up the fog.  Maybe next time.

As I was driving out, I noticed some plants that I don't recall seeing before.  I saw some of them back-lit and standing against backgrounds of dark foliage so I grabbed my camera and fired away.  Unfortunately, there was a slight mist falling and the dark foliage brought out tiny streaks of the mist droplets as they blew around the plants.  Fortunately, the lighter backgrounds didn't show the mist streaks.  

I headed for Yachats and as I approached Waldport, I thought I'd see how the Alsea Bridge looked up close and personal.  

I was impressed with the engineering components of the bridge, of course, but the really fun part of walking on the sidewalk (way out of the way of the traffic!) was looking down on the variety of birds that were flying under the bridge.  My favorite was the Pigeon Guillemot Cepphus columba, the little brown guy with the white spots on his wings and the crazy red feet.  

After walking the bridge, I went into Waldport, turned right at the stop light (the only one) and parked in a municipal lot with several signs directing visitors to the Alsea Bridge Interpretive Center located at the corner of the parking lot.  

The Interpretive Center is very nicely done and there is a volunteer docent/receptionist on duty when the Center is open.  This would be a nice stop for anyone but the grampa in me thinks it would be great for school-age kids in particular.  



























No comments:

Post a Comment